Travel Guide 2021/22: United States
INTERNATIONAL COVID-19 VACCINATION CERTIFICATE
The Australian-issued International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC) is a free and secure way to prove your COVID-19 vaccination history when you travel overseas. It is a great benefit to have your vaccination confirmation linked to your phone, as well as your passport. To obtain your ICVC, we recommend the method via the ‘Express Plus Medicare mobile app’.
UNITED STATES – as of 6th December 2021
Important: This guide contains the latest available information at the time of production. Before you travel, you must double-check the current rules and how this relates to your circumstances. It is entirely the responsibility of you and those in your travelling party to comply with the latest government requirements, which as we have seen may also change suddenly and without notice.
COVID-19 testing for travel clearance purposes is generally conducted at private pathology clinics only. Charges apply for COVID-19 testing services for travel.
ARRIVING TO USA – Requirements as a fully vaccinated traveller
All non-U.S. citizens traveling to the United States by air are required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Only limited exceptions apply.
Summary of requirements to qualify:
|Double-vaccinated||• accepted vaccines include Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Oxford-AstraZeneca/Covishield, Sinopharm, and Sinovac|
• vaccination status must be shown in either a paper or digital format, prior to boarding a flight to the US
• Children under 18 years of age are exempted from US requirement (However, children 12 and over are required to be double-vaccinated to depart Australia without an exemption)
|Negative viral test (including for those in transit)||• required for all air passengers two years of age and over |
• present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within one (1) calendar day of departure, or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days
• airlines must confirm the negative test result or proof of recent recovery for all passengers prior to boarding
• must be a viral test (NAAT or antigen test)
|ESTA||• Covid-19 related travel requirements are additional to the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) you need, visit https://esta.cbp.dhs.g|
|Contact Information||• all air passengers to the United States will also be required to provide contact information to airlines before boarding flights to the United States for the purpose of contact tracing.|
RETURNING TO AUSTRALIA – Requirements for ‘Australia Travel Declaration’,
pre-departure test and potential quarantine
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE – The government’s Smartraveller website has released a helpful step-by-step guide that covers the above key topics and more.